Runs: R.O.C. Race

Monday, October 21, 2013


 
By far my favorite run ever. This "fun run" combines a 5K course with game show inspired obstacles to give you the craziest run ever! Swing, jump, climb, hurdle, dodge and slide your way across the finish line.

I grew up in the '90s with shows like Double Dare, Legends of the Hidden Temple, and American Gladiators. At the end of each show I always thought to myself, "These people are nuts!... SIGN ME UP!" And ever since I was little, far before I knew I wanted to be an Engineer, my only aspiration in life was to get on one of those shows. It was my dream to play in those amazingly rad obstacles. It may have taken me 23 years, but my dreams finally came true! The Ridiculous Obstacle Challenge (R.O.C.) Race 5K made its way to San Diego, California at the Del Mar Race Track back in May.

My family and I couldn't pass up this opportunity. It was the perfect reunion for us. So we all immediately signed up and booked our flights, traveling from Utah, Hawai'i, and Los Angeles to make our way over to San Diego to join in on the fun.

Runners complete various thrilling obstacles such as:
  1. Tarzan Swing (basically, grab a rope and hold on for dear life)
  2. Cool Runnings (hop on an inner tube  throw yourself down an inflatable slide and crash into a pool. This obstacle completely brought us back to our childhood days musing the movie Cool Runnings. We couldn't help but chant "Jamaica, we have a bobsled team" during this entire obstacle.
  3. Belly Flop Drop (don't think about it -- just say a prayer and go)
  4. Wrecking Ball (by far my favorite part of the course, closely followed by the World's Largest Inflatable Slide. Just as in American Gladiators you must maneuver your way across rotating balance beams as a giant ball tries to whack you into a pool of water.
  5. World's Largest Inflatable Slide (This was the final obstacle and definitely the highlight of the run. You don't just merely step past the finish line like most races... in the R.O.C. Race, you sliddeee across it as you go down the world's largest inflatable water slide. They let our team all jump off the same time and slide in tandem down as the drenched us in water. It was so fast, it sent us spinning and rolling the entire way down)
Okay, wait I lied. As much as I loved the last two obstacles... I might have to slightly alter my statement. The beer garden was the other highlight of the day :) what better way to celebrate burning all those calories than by drinking it all back with some nice refreshing cold beers!

Whether you join the R.O.C. Race or come just to show the fellow racers some support, just coming down to see the event is a fun filled day within itself. We definitely didn't leave empty handed. There was plenty of awesome giveaways and activities to partake in. My brother-in-law even got to try out the American Ninja Warrior Salmon Ladder and test his strength / skills.

My sister and me jumping down one of the inflatable slides at the R.O.C. Race
3, 2, 1 Blast off: My brother-in-law showing off his skills getting some major air.
Ready or not, here she : My sister's graceful slide down the inflatable :)

This has overall been my absolute favorite run I've taken part in and I highly recommend this to everyone of all ages. We are definitely returning for the next run.

What are you waiting for? Find a location near you and sign up.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram: @ambah_rose